Murder probe launched after man found dead in Co Down

You are viewing content from Q Newry and Mourne 100.5. Would you like to make this your preferred location?
Police cordons are still in place

By Cillian Sherlock (PA)

A murder investigation has been opened after a man was found dead in Co Down.

The PSNI received a report that a man had been found dead in the Slievenabrock Avenue area of Newcastle at around 10.30pm on Sunday.

Detective Chief Inspector Kerrie Foreman said: “We understand this news will cause shock and concern within this close-knit community of Newcastle.

“Local people will see our officers in and around the area – with cordons still in place today.

“Our enquiries are at an early stage and I am appealing to anyone who believes they may have information which could assist us with our investigation, any dashcam or doorbell footage to contact us on 101 quoting reference number 1746 24/08/25.”

The PSNI said members of the public can share photos and footage through the Major Incident Public Portal at http://mipp.police.uk/operation/PSNI25U19-PO1

Information can also be provided to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or anonymously online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org.

Join the Thank Q Club

Sign up for the Thank Q Club and receive exclusive offers, fun competitions and amazing prizes - it's quick and easy to do!

Sign Up Log In

Listen on the go

Download the Q Radio app to keep listening, wherever you are! It's available on Apple and Android devices.

Download from the App Store Download from Google Play