Irish League: Glens grab dramatic late winner to close gap at top to single point

You are viewing content from Q Mid Antrim 107. Would you like to make this your preferred location?
Conor McMenamin - Glens winner

Q Radio Sport

Glentoran have cut the gap at the top of the Danske Bank Premiership to a single point with a dramatic win over Coleraine.

Conor McMenamin struck in the last minute of Tuesday night's clash at the BetMcLean Oval to give the Glens a 2-1 victory.

Leaders Linfield needed a late goal from Ethan Devine to grab a 2-2 draw at third-placed Cliftonville. 

Former Glentoran winger Jamie McDonagh struck twice for the Reds.

Full NIFL round-up below. 

Late goals were very much in fashion as another round of intriguing Danske Bank Premiership fixtures produced a fresh batch of twists and turns.

Linfield remain top of the pile, but their lead was cut to one point after they twice came from behind to draw with third placed Cliftonville at Solitude.

Jamie McDonagh fired the Reds in front after 15 minutes, a lead they held until just after the hour when Matthew Clarke levelled for the Blues. McDonagh struck again just a couple of minutes after that to restore home advantage but Linfield bagged a second equaliser with barely five minutes remaining when recent signing Ethan Devine found the net.

Glentoran left it even later than that to get the better of Coleraine at the BetMcLean Oval. Michael O'Connor broke the deadlock for the Glens just before the half-hour mark with Stephen O'Donnell bringing the Bannsiders back into it midway through the second half. However, Conor McMenamin bagged what proved to be Glentoran's winner on 89 minutes to secure what might turn out to be a vital three points.

But the last goal of the night fell to Ben Kennedy whose 90th minute strike proved to be the difference between Crusaders and Portadown - watched by new boss Paul Doolin - at Shamrock Park.

Larne needed no such drama to sweep to a three-goal victory over Warrenpoint Town at Milltown. David McDaid and Lee Bonis struck within a couple of minutes of each other midway through the first half with John Herron adding a third after the break.

And it was a comfortable evening for Carrick Rangers as they claimed their first three points in ten outings at Ballymena United's expense. David Cushley struck once in each half to put the home side firmly in control before Ewan Kelly completed the scoring with just over ten minutes to go.

Meanwhile, Glenavon came from behind to defeat Dungannon Swifts at Mourneview Park. Rhyss Campbell had given the Swifts the lead at the end of the first half but Peter Campbell, Mark Haughey and Conor McCloskey all found the net for Gary Hamilton's side after the break.

Robbie McDaid and Conor McMenamin celebrate another victory for the Glens. Pic: GFC

More from Q Radio Local Sport

Join the Thank Q Club

Sign up for the Thank Q Club and receive exclusive offers, fun competitions and amazing prizes - it's quick and easy to do!

Sign Up Log In

Listen on the go

Download the Q Radio app to keep listening, wherever you are! It's available on Apple and Android devices.

Download from the App Store Download from Google Play